The Jersey Tomato Co’s Vegetarian Calzone
- 1 pre-made pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 whole medium onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- 2 whole eggs plus 1 whole egg, beaten
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- JTC Marinara Sauce, warmed, for serving
- Place the pizza dough on a baking sheet to thaw. Cover with a tea towel and let thaw and rise for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for a couple of minutes. Add the sausage and cook until brown, crumbling the sausage as you stir. Add the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Remove from the skillet and allow to cool on a plate.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, salt, some pepper, parsley, and 2 eggs.
- When the sausage is cool, stir it into the cheese mixture and set aside.
- When the rolls are thawed and risen, roll them out on a lightly floured surface until paper thin. Spoon 3 to 4 tablespoons of the filling onto half of the dough circle. Fold half of the dough over itself, and then press the edges to seal.
- Brush the surface of each calzone with the beaten egg, and then bake until nice and golden brown, 10 to 13 minutes.
- Serve with warm JTC Marinara Sauce and enjoy!
About The Jersey Tomato Co. with Tom Colicchio
The Jersey Tomato Co. a favorite low-sodium tomato sauce line, has now partnered with renowned chef and notable ‘Top Chef’ Head Judge Tom Colicchio for the brand’s 2020 relaunch, complete with new packaging featuring Colicchio’s face on the jars. The tomato sauce line offers Jersey tomato-based products which emphasize vine-ripened, garden-fresh taste and naturally healthful attributes. Having entered the marketplace in 2010, the brand is currently in over 1,400 retail stores nationwide, with the following flavor profiles available to consumers: Marinara, Tomato Basil and Spicy, with their brand-new Roasted Garlic flavor about to launch. The Jersey Tomato Co. sauces are naturally low in sodium, with no fillers or additives resulting in a clean label product, gluten free, Non-GMO, naturally low in sodium, vegan, and certified Kosher, and they have no added sugars, no citric acid, and zero preservatives. Available at retailers including Sprouts, Shoprite, Harris Teeter, Stop & Shop, Winn Dixie and more. wwwjerseytomatoco.com @thejerseytomatoco on Instagram
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.